25 November, 2020
8 Fasting food recipe made @ home during Guruvayur Ekadashi…..
Guruvayur Ekadasi is observed within the famous Sri Krishna Temple at Guruvayur in Kerala. It is observed within the Vrischikam month as per traditional Malayalam calendar. Guruvayur Ekadasi 2020 date is November 25. The corresponding Ekadasi in other regions in some year is understood as Mokshada Ekadasi or Prabodhini Ekadasi. The Geeta Jayanti is also observed on the day in certain years.
The temple doesn’t close the doors of the Sanctum Sanctorum on Ekadasi day. The temple doors which opens on at 0300 hrs on Dashami, the day before Ekadasi, is merely closed at 0900 hrs on Dwadasi Day – the day after Ekadashi.
Sabudana Vada(8 Fasting food recipe made @ home during Guruvayur Ekadashi…..)
Most fattening, but delicious !
- 1 kg Potatoes, boiled, peeled, mashed
- 1 cup (150 gms) Saboodana (sago)
- 2 tsp Sendha namak (rock salt)
- 1 tsp Chilli powder Green chillies, chopped and Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (heaped) Hara dhania (green coriander), chopped
- Ghee (clarified butter)/*Oil for deep frying
- Peanut oil or Olive oil or Palm oil – not corn oils.
- Wash saboodana till water clears.
- Keep in water, with level coming upto 3 cms / 1½” above the saboodana, for about 1½ hours.
- Drain in a colander and mix in potatoes, salt, chilli powder, hara dhania, green chillies and lemon juice.
- Shape potato mixture into flat, round vadas 5 cms / 2″ in diameter (grease hands if it sticks).
- Heat ghee/oil for frying.
- Fry vadas golden and crisp on each side and serve hot, with a chutney.
Sabut Aloo(8 Fasting food recipe made @ home during Guruvayur Ekadashi…..)
Long list of ingredients, but simple to form !
- 500 gms Potatoes (small, whole) boiled, peeled
- ½ cup (100 gms) Dahi (yogurt), beaten smooth
- 2 tsp Dhania (coriander) powder
- ¼ tsp Pissi kali mirch (powdered black pepper)
- 1 tbsp Sendha namak (rock salt)
- 2-3 Green chillies
- 2 tsp Ginger, chopped
- 2 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 sprig Kadhi patta (curry leaves)
- 1 tsp Zeera (cumin seeds)
- 2 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Laung (cloves) Daalchini (cinnamon) broken into pieces,Choti elaichi (cardamom) seeds
- Grind together green chillies and ginger.Powder together sugar, laung, daalchini, choti elaichi.
- Mix together, potatoes, dahi, dhania, kali mirch, green chilli and ginger paste, and therefore the salt.
- Heat ghee during a pan, and add kadhi patta and zeera. When zeera splutters, add potato mixture, and sauté till oil separates.
- Remove from flame, mix within the powdered ingredients and serve immediately.
No Onion Panner masala (8 Fasting food recipe made @ home during Guruvayur Ekadashi…..)
- 500 gms Paneer, cubed
- 3 tbsp Singhare ka atta (waterchestnut flour)
- 2 tbsp Magaz (melon seeds)
- 2 tsp Sendha namak (rock salt),Chilli powder,Zeera (cumin seeds), roasted, powdered,Dhania (coriander), powdered and Ghee (clarified)
- 1 tbsp (or to taste) Green chillies, chopped
- 2 tbsp Hara dhania (green coriander), chopped
- ¼ cup (60 gms) Malai (fresh cream)
- Mix together paneer, atta, magaz, namak, chilli powder, dhnia powder, tolerably to coat the paneer.
- Heat the ghee, add green chillies and ginger thereto . Sauté till slightly coloured, then add paneer mix.
- When the paneer is brown , add enough water to hide the paneer and convey to a boil. Leave to simmer for 3-4 minutes, until well blended.
- Add malai and half the hara dhania and warmth through. Serve hot, garnished with the remaining dhania.
Coconut Chutney(8 Fasting food recipe made @ home during Guruvayur Ekadashi…..)
Really adds zest to your fast !
Ingredients and method:-
- 2½ cups (approx. 1 whole) Fresh coconut, grated
- 125 gms (2½ cups) Hara dhania (green coriander), chopped
- 25 gms (approx. ¼ cup) or to taste Green chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger, chopped
- 4 tsp Sendha namak (rock salt)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp, or to taste Lemon juice
- Blend everything in to fine paste.
- Can be stored during a dry jar and refrigerated for a couple of days.
Sabudana Khichadi(8 Fasting food recipe made @ home during Guruvayur Ekadashi…..)
- 2 cups sago (sabudana)
- 1 cup roasted, coarsely pounded peanuts
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 6 green chilies
- 4 tbs. ghee
- 1/2 lemon finely chopped
- fresh coriander for garnishing
- 1/2 cup freshly scraped coconut
- Wash sago, drain and set aside for one hour. Heat ghee.
- Add cumin seeds. Then add green chilies, letting it fry briefly.
- Mix in sago, peanuts, salt and sugar to taste. Keep covered and cook on slow flame for 5-10 minutes.
- You can add small cubes of boiled or fried potatoes. Garnish with coconut and coriander leaves. Serve hot.
Avial – Curried Vegetables – South Indian style(8 Fasting food recipe made @ home during Guruvayur Ekadashi…..)
- Vegetables – Carrots, Potatoes, Pumpkin, Eggplant .
- Coconut 1 cup
- Green chillies 8
- Red chillies 2
- Cumin seeds 1 t.spoon
- Tamarind paste 1/4 t.spoon
- Salt 1 t.spoon (or to taste)
- Coconut oil 2 t.spoon
- Yogurt 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves a few
- Cut all the vegetables evenly(as per your choice), and cook it with little water.
- Add turmeric and salt to this.
- Blend coconut, green chillies, red chillies, cumin seeds, and tamarind paste finely in yogurt.
- Add the bottom masala to the cooked vegetables, and let it cook until the flavour comes out.
- Garnish with curry leaves and coconut oil.
Cucumber Pachadi – Raita(8 Fasting food recipe made @ home during Guruvayur Ekadashi…..)
- Cucumber washed, peeled & finely chopped
- Yogurt 2 cups
- Cilantro (coriander leaf) washed and finely chopped
- Green chillies 1-2 finely chopped
- Coconut grated 1 t.spoon
- Salt 1/2 t.spoon
- Mustard seeds less than 1/4 t.spoon
- Hing a small pinch
- Cooking Oil 1/2 t.spoon
- Wet grind green chilles, salt, coconut and tiny cilantro in little yogurt.
- Mix the above with cucumber, and therefore the remaining yogurt.
- Fry mustard and hing in little oil and add it to above.
Sweet Lassi – yogurt drink – Raita(8 Fasting food recipe made @ home during Guruvayur Ekadashi…..)
- 1 scoop Ice
- 2 scoops Yoghurt
- 1 splash juice
- 8 handfuls Sugar
- 3 pinches Salt
- 1 squirt Rosewater
- Mixing instructions:
- Mix all of them together during a blender.
- The measurements aren’t precise because you oughtta just throw everything in to taste.
- This is often mainly here to assist out those, like myself, who tried making the Sweet Lassi with the opposite Sweet
- Lassi recipe, and located out that it had been pretty bad – watery, not sweet,
- Ice is that the key.